(a) Small cliff at a damaged spot results in an additional load. (b) Photo of damage during the overtopping test at St. Philipsland resulting in a small cliff (Bakker et al. 2011).
The effects of transitions and damages on the dike cover erosion by overtopping waves are often neglected in the assessment of grass-covered dikes. We developed a new probabilistic framework to calculate the failure probability by wave overtopping along with a dike profile where these effects can be included. Damages result in an additional load as the water flows over the cliff and impacts on the dike cover. The data of overtopping tests is used to determine this additional load at damages.
Implications to practice
We show that damages to the dike cover, such as an animal burrowing or an erosion hole, resulting in the removal of the grass cover and increasing the failure probability significantly
Publication open access journal
- van Bergeijk, V.M.; Verdonk, V.A.; Warmink, J.J.; Hulscher, S.J.M.H. The Cross-Dike Failure Probability by Wave Overtopping over Grass-Covered and Damaged Dikes. Water 2021, 13, 690. https://doi.org/10.3390/w13050690
- van Bergeijk, V. M., Warmink, J. J., Frankena, M., & Hulscher (2021) van Bergeijk, V. M., Warmink, J. J., & Hulscher, S. J. M. H. (2021). What is the effect of dike cover damages on the failure probability of wave overtopping?. 42-43. Abstract from NCR Days 2021, Enschede, Netherlands.
- van Bergeijk, V. M., Warmink, J. J., Frankena, M., & Hulscher, S. J. M. H. (2019). Modelling Dike Cover Erosion by Overtopping Waves: The Effects of Transitions. In N. Goseberg, & T. Schlurmann (Eds.), Coastal Structures 2019 Bundesanstalt für Wasserbau. https://doi.org/10.18451/978-3-939230-64-9_110
- Warmink, J. J., Van Bergeijk, V. M., Frankena, M., Van Steeg, P., & Hulscher, S. J. M. H. (2020). Modelling Transitions in Grass Covers to Quantify Wave Overtopping Erosion. In Coastal Engineering Proceedings 2020 (pp. 1–8) https://doi.org/10.9753/icce.v36v.papers.39
- Van Bergeijk, V. M., Warmink, J.J., & Hulscher, S. J. M. H. (2020). Modelling of Wave Overtopping Flow over Complex Dike Geometries: Case Study of the Afsluitdijk. In Coastal Engineering Proceedings 2020 https://doi.org/10.9753/icce.v36v.papers.52
Last modified: 27/04/2021